Sunday, August 15, 2010

How I Quit Smoking - it happened in Manila and not at Mumbai

I have been smoking since when I was 23. That was 1980. That went on and on and reached 30 cigarettes a day by 1983. There were occasions when I’d light one, un-mindful that the previous one was not yet finished. Such was the compulsion from inside.

But, believe it or not, the same ‘I’ has not touched a single cigarette since 2001. What was the secret? Loved ones pointing out the medical side? No way. I was well aware. Heart attacks and strokes were galore in the family. The logic cited would be – ‘people die without smoking also, I’d rather die smoking. Well-wishers can’t help giving up on such incorrigibles.
However, being a soft person, I did think sometimes of quitting. But the urge was un-stoppable. So short shrift for the couple of occasions when I actually gave up for a few hours or may be a few days. But there was a constant tussle inside. Only the mind could not come out with a positive ‘no’.
Months continued. I got transferred to Mumbai. For the first time I found a bevy of ladies in the office, all professionally qualified with no non-sense attitudes. Somehow I could get myself accepted within their group. Mind all of them were younger to me -10 years and more.
The smoking continued unabated. I got new smoking partners in the new office. Now nobody would even request me to give up – they knew I was hardened by then. However the tussle inside had not stopped. It also continued along with the fags.
Then one day to add some spice in life I announced in the office that I’d quit smoking if any lady other than my wife asked me to stop. The ladies found it to be a real non-sense and refrained from even commenting on my stunt. So I continued my way.
Then in 2000-01, during my second visit to Manila something happened which changed the scenario completely. After work while going to the malls I met another female colleague of our Mumbai office but not from my department. I was smoking as usual. On being asked why did I smoke, I narrated her the story of my condition of quitting. Little did I realize that this was a different lady. She heard my story and immediately uttered “ok I am now asking you to stop smoking”. I was taken aback. I did not expect this. Sheepishly I continued with the smoke. We went round the mall and came back after dinner. I had still 4 cigarettes left in the packet.
Once inside the hotel room the real fight started. One part of the mind was telling me – boy here is your chance. I kept on thinking that I had been bragging all this time with no one caring. Here was someone who was giving me an opportunity to come round. The duel continued for sometime when all of a sudden out of a sudden burst of emotion, I grabbed the packet, squeezed it completely and threw it in the dust-bin.
The next morning the Manila girls had organized a trip to the Tagay-Tay volcano and I was sitting in the van like a zombie. The girls kept on asking what was the matter with me, why was I not talking?
But that was it. Ever since that night not a cigarette till this day. I made it look so easy.
My brother commented – a girl asked you to quit and you quit. Little did he realize that the game was and till date is being played in the mind.
As for that lady- when she learnt that I had really given up at her word (which I think she also never dreamt of) she teased me with the sentence “You have put your foot into the mouth”.
When I narrated this story to one of my managers his reply was – “Yes you had put your foot into the mouth but in the process had taken out the butt from the mouth”
So it’s the Mind and nothing else. Think of doing something. The mind will take you thru.

2 comments:

  1. You smoked the entire lifetime quota of cigarettes in those 21 years and hence you dont feel the need to smoke anymore!

    Deepak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - I wish all our desires were fulfilled that way so that we'd stop craving for them altogether. I can say the my crave for driving has come down a lot. So that is another example.

    ReplyDelete